[Webcom] Restructuring the wiki

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Jun 16 04:53:01 EDT 2008

Hi Milo,

I followed your change on the wiki this week-end and, even if I did'nt read
your pdf file yet, agree with you. Some thoughts:
* Use the wiki for your proposal will be better ;)
* Why don't use namespace [1] in wiki for Local Chapter?

Regards,

Y.
[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Namespace
Le Monday 16 June 2008 10:22:15 Milo van der Linden, vous avez écrit :
> Hello webcom members.
>
> Lately when querying for core figures about OSGeo (number of active
> members, events etc.) I discovered that the wiki structure can use some
> enhancement because of double entries, double information, trouble
> finding events etc.
>
> I feel that there are 3 important components in the OSGeo wiki:
> - People
> - Articles/Documents
> - Events/Meetings
>
> And that these 3 important components can be structured with cross
> referencing using categories. This will reduce doubling of information
> and reduce information that is out of date and hard to maintain.
>

> I would like to bring in a proposal for restructuring by:
> - Creating a solid base of categories. I set up a proposal for this that
> I would like to discuss. The pdf can be found here:
> <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Image:Osgeo_wiki_structure_proposal_draft.pdf>
> Please contact me for the odg (open Office drawing)
>
> - Adding the DynamicPageList extension to the mediawiki installation to
> create inline queries for listing in articles.
> This extension can be used to auto generate lists.
> Examples:
> * List Members of the board of directors in (this query would be
> selecting articles that are in both "OSGeo Member" and "Board of
> Directors" categories)
> * List events, future and past that are organized in mexico and which
> are spanish spoken (this query would be: "Past Events" OR "Proposed
> Events" AND "Espanol" AND "Mexico"
>
> - Make good use of the calendar extension and maybe calendar widget to
> show a calendar of all events on the main page.
>
> I strongly believe that introducing language as a category and
> restructuring the local chapters will also help to give non-US OSGeo
> chapters better control over their own section of the wiki, ease to be
> found by people speaking their language and setting a wiki entry point
> for their chapter members.
>
> Please let me know if this proposal sounds good. I am (and am willing to
> be) spending (more) time in restructuring the wiki so it will be used
> even more and better.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Milo van der Linden

Yves Jacolin