[Webcom] Mozilla's site

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Thu May 15 07:33:45 EDT 2008

2008/5/14 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) <tmitchell at osgeo.org>:
> I happened to be browsing Mozilla's site today and a few things struck me as
> attractive.  Little things that impress me don't always mean they are useful
> though ;-)  They do have some commonalities to OSGeo in that there is the
> Foundation, Products and similar other items we have.
>
> http://mozilla.org  (and http://mozilla.com to some degree)
>
> The front page uses 6 main boxes, and a few top tabs, instead of detailed
> menus.  They help you choose and then they get out of the way.  Main
> sections are: Foundation, Software, Store, News & Announcements (2-3
> different kinds).  A pretty good fit with much of our content and it feels
> useful but not too heavy.
>
> Overall, I just thought I'd mention this site because I happened to be there
> looking at some of their foundation docs and thought this looked neat.
>  Maybe there are some points we can take home??  I'm late to the party at
> this point, having missed last meeting, but thought I'd mention it anyway -
> I always like finding other inspirational sites to steal ideas from.  Not
> that I have time to implement them... :)
>
> Coincidentally, our original theme for osgeo.org was based on the
> "spreadfirefox" Drupal theme (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/).
>
> Tyler

Hi,

Not exactly a foundation site but I like a lot the Plone main website.
It's clean and provides links to the main parts of the portal. It also
has place to dinamically change the bottom box witch is a nice feature
to display diferent groups of "cool things" about Plone. I'm not sure
what kind of information about OSGeo could be place here because it's
not evident you have to click on the titles to change the box
contents.

And like the mozilla site, at the end of the page several columns with
RSS items of different groups of info: news, events. ...

http://plone.org
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía