[Webcom] OSGeo website translation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Nov 11 10:56:04 EST 2008

Anton Patrushev wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to translate OSGeo website to Russian.
> I was quite surprised that there is still no Russian locale for the website!
>
> What should I do now?
>
> Thanks,
> Anton.

Anton,
first off - welcome and thanks for your initiative.

The best start for this kind of thing is to submit a ticket to Trac. You need an account with OSGeo to do this, then just go here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/newticket

Select "WebSite" in the "Component:" drop down box and ask for a Russian locale link. WebCom will then set up a new locale and (given that they trust you...) give you translator role for the CMS so that you can go ahead and start to translate pages.

If you think this is too complicated or it does not work for you or nobody answers your ticket please come back here right away.

We have tried hard to keep track of translations but I am not sure how far we really got. I guess most languages that have a locale on OSGeo are still only translated partially. I knwo that French and Spanish have made good progress. It is a tedious thing and once started should be maintained, so please consider how much time you can really spend on this before starting (or better even - invite all your friends). The more people join the better it will work.

Best regards,
Arnulf.