[Webcom] Planet.Osgeo in home page [was: Website Redesign]

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:21:23 EST 2009

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) escribió:

> On 13-Jan-09, at 12:12 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>
>> - When resizing to a narrow window, the planet and upcoming events
>> jump down, leaving a wide white space next to the News section.
>
> I think this is fixed now, please let me know if it still happens.
>
>> - The blog posts open in the same page as the OSGeo pages, so we lose
>> the visitors instantly when they hit a blog post. I feel blog posts
>> should be opened in a new window.
>> - I would suggest to remove the name of the blog writer. It means
>> something to a very small community, but takes a lot of space that
>> detracts from the actual subject.

I also agree that names are important

> I agree with opening in new window or even within the main osgeo page
> layout.  I would prefer to see authors name after the title of the
> post:  Title (Author).  But this module doesn't support settings for
> either of these changes without modifying the module's code.  We might
> be able to use a different aggregator module in drupal that supports
> more customisation, but neither Wolf or I have used one.

The "Active template" module allow to customize views very easily, you
got a box with clear variables to produce a view (in essence a loop over
the nodes to present) so you can add javascript or css to a list and
start hacking.

>> - The titles / layout of the four main sections on the home page may
>> benefit from a consistent layout and consistent dividers between the
>> blocks.
>
> I'm doing a few hacks to keep spacing looking somewhat normal.  A few
> css changes should clean it up.    I think the spacing between the
> "blocks" in the main section are now good enough that we don't need any
> of the dashed separator lines.  Anyone else agree?
>
>> - Last thing is something I can't check now, but you may know: blog
>> posts that end up on the OSGeo homepage should relate to the subject
>> matter we deal with. So we should not see personal blog entries of new
>> borns and so on end up there (even though those are incredibly
>> important to the blogger and her/his friends!! :-) ). Do we filter the
>> blog entries on an OSGeo tag? I think we should and it should be a
>> guideline for bloggers to use the osgeo tag in case they want their
>> stuff to end up on the OSGeo homepage.
>
> I entitled the section "Community Blogs" so hopefully there can be some
> generosity by readers to not expect "official" or perfectly related
> blogs :)

Having non-osgeo content at planet has not been a problem, but if it's
an issue for the osgeo frontpage having new borns (well new borns are
new community :P) we can as for a tag and create some kind of pipe to
filter non tagged posts. IMHO new borns (not mine at this moment, sorry)
are good.

> Tyler

Cheers

--