[Webcom] Stuck on Website Migration

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Tue Nov 8 20:29:25 EST 2011

Hi all,

First off I haven't really had time to examine the work done so far, but
I'll try to make some time in the near future :)

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 21:52, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:

Challenges:
> 1. Moving FDO and MGOS sites as well

Not that much of a challenge as AFAIR they are not using anything special.
It's just content hosting.

> 2. Deciding on v6 or v7 site

I would recommend to go to D7 directly if at all possible since we will
anyway need to eventually upgrade to 7. This would save us from one more
upgrade, but see below.

> 3. Some modules between v5 and v6 and v7 aren't available

Yes. These need to be mapped and a suitable replacement needs to be
found... This is probably one of the most time-consuming tasks since it
involves investigating what is out there and how they work and how to
convert content. I recommend that we do this as a team-effort. We have the
list of D5 modules installed on the Wiki somewhere (2 am, not time to look
at the moment). So each volunteer would then pick a D5 module and look for
possible upgrade paths for it. It won't take that long time per module, but
there are very many of them....

> 4. Can't get LDAP module in v6 or v7 working

We have 2 options:
1) Invest time to fix one of the existing LDAP solutions to work for us
(and contrib the code back)
2) Look for an alternative solution. Once could be to use some other
authentication mechanism which would be better at talking to our LDAP
server. http://www.openid-ldap.org/ is one such example. Drupal talks
OpenID quite well for instance.

> 5. Can't get SSL running properly for secure logins

Here is what I found by googling a bit on the subject. In summary I can say
that it seems to be possible for D7 and D6 for sure. There is module but it
seems to be a bit buggy for D7 as explained here:
http://drupal.org/project/securepages

> 6. New theme requires some new content to be created, as outlined at
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/website/sitemap/sitemap.svg (green
> links are
> existing content, black are new ones that are needed)

Okay, these WILL require time. Would it be possible to make some sort of
more maintainable list, so that we can check off the pages when they are
done, or then have a content-sprint and create all page stubbs and as many
full conteent pages as possible?

> More issues have popped up but these are the main ones.  I have limited
> time available
> to help with this so am just putting it on your radar as an area where
> someone else needs to
> "own" the website as a project or a broader community review of the
> website needs (along
> with new solutions/ideas) may be in order.
>
> If you are interest/available to take this over, I suggest to introduce
> yourself and your interest
> on the webcom or SAC lists.  I'm available for questions but have limited
> time to do much
> technical work at this point.

I can at least serve as an adviser or mentor, but I also have quite limited
time, but I'll see if I can arrange some time.

Hope this helps,
Wolf Bergenheim