[Webcom] An introduction and question about the OSGeo Journal.

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 12:43:15 PDT 2012

Thanks for the response Frank.

You wrote: "Which userid would you like to use, surveyor or sunburnedsurveyor?"

I believe I use "surveyor" to log into the wiki. If I have two (2)
userids, then I should delete the sunburnedsurveyor one.

You wrote: "Have you logged into the www.osgeo.org Drupal site before?"

I think I did that once to edit the page here:
http://www.osgeo.org/journal

You wrote: "We have a content type called "kkhtml" which is pretty
much straight HTML.
 We can try with that and see how it goes.  It might be good for us to
communicate in IRC while you are getting started."

That sounds like it would work.

You wrote: "BTW, where does this live and what tech is it using?

  http://journal.osgeo.org/index.php/journal

/me establishes it is living on the WebExtraVM.

Is it possible we should just publishing via that site rather than
via the www.osgeo.org drupal site?"

To be honest, I have no idea. OJS was set up by Tyler. I found the
site difficult to use in a lot of scenarios, and I haven't used it at
all for the last two (2) volumes. I don't think it is a good idea to
move forward with that site because can't rely on Tyler for tech
support like I could before.

I suppose if I learn Drupal I might be able to help with other OSGeo
web site maintenance tasks. This probably makes the most sense.

It isn't that important to have the Journal articles posted on the
web, I just thought it would be a nice extra. I guess I posted here to
see if I could get the gears of the web committee moving again, more
that for any other reason. I don't want to be a burden, and I'm
willing to learn a bit if I can help out. I know nothing about Drupal,
but I'm very comfortable with HTML/CSS/Javascript.

Landon