[Webcom] [SAC] Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo upcoming events list needs love

Ian Edwards iedwards.pub at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:57:17 PDT 2013

Hi Arnulf, Daniel,

I'm happy to take on a more active role, I've promised to do a test
deployment of Drupal 8 [1]
(the focus of this D8 release is even better multilingual support - Drupal
already leads the field in this area)

Transifex has been suggested, both for OSGeo Live and for translations on
the main site [2]
Pootle [3] has been mentioned a couple of times in the past few years, and
was recently dropped into the mix again on the webcom mailing list - I've
no idea about Pootle and haven't looked at it yet.

Finally, Alex suggested that we may be better off with a Django site - I've
not read about internationalization in Django, but here's a relevant link
[4].

We're short of resources to evaluate all options extensively, my feeling at
the moment is to see how the D8 evaluation goes and then decide whether to
pursue it - or we can make a final decision to leave Drupal behind.

I'm a bit reluctant to hack the old Drupal site to workaround
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/202 when the time would be better spent
working on a properly engineered migration, but if the D8 evaluation fails
then I'm happy to invest some energy to get a reasonable fix for #202.

Frank's given me access to the new VM  to evaluate a possible migration -
and there'll be sufficient time over the holiday season - but a remit from
the board to pursue this (in the order suggested above) would really help
before committing the necessary time to this.

Ian

[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Drupal-8-td5080183.html
[2] https://www.transifex.com/
[3] http://pootle.translatehouse.org/