Thinking about integration between Mapbuilder and OpenLayers

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 17:35:10 EDT 2006

(It is my intent that the email thread move only to webmap-discuss, so
if you want to join in, I suggest joining this list).

I've been having a look at the OpenLayers code and I can see both
technical and political issues to address.

Technical:
==========
In the trunk version of Mapbuilder we use a Layer Factory to create new
layers for a MapPane.  This layer factory would be a simple place to
replace our Mapbuilder code with OpenLayers code.

We will run into issues where Mapbuilder provides functionality not yet
provided by OpenLayers.  Eg: WMS time series.  I think we have 2 options
here:
1. We continue using existing Mapbuilder code.
2. We port Mapbuilder code into OpenLayers.

Mapbuilder can still use the Model/View/Controller framework for XML
data sources to drive various widgets.

Also, our graphics library, used for rendering lines polygons and points
across browsers should be of use for OpenLayers if incorporated into the
Openlayers framework.

There are sure to be some technical issues we need to address and I'm
interested to hear thoughts from others.

Political:
==========
By switching to use a significant potion of code from OpenLayers,
Mapbuilder developers will be loosing an element of control over the
project.

How is OpenLayers controlled?  It seems like Metacarta has the last say
over all major decisions.  Is this right?
Have you considered setting up a Project Management Committee similar
other OSGeo projects?

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net