[OpenLayers-Dev] Thinking about integration between Mapbuilder and OpenLayers

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 17:25:59 EDT 2006

Schuyler Erle wrote:

>>Also, our graphics library, used for rendering lines polygons and points
>>across browsers should be of use for OpenLayers if incorporated into the
>>Openlayers framework.
>

> For example. That sounds great! (Although we should talk about using
> SVG/VML versus Zorn...)

Patrice has already written code for SVG/VML/Zorn depending on what
browser you use, and I'm about to extend that further for the OWS4 Testbed.

>>Political:
>>==========
>>How is OpenLayers controlled?  It seems like Metacarta has the last
>>say over all major decisions.  Is this right?  Have you considered
>>setting up a Project Management Committee similar other OSGeo
>>projects?
>

> In fact, this is exactly what we are doing. Although MetaCarta has
> funded developers to bootstrap OpenLayers development, MetaCarta does
> not want to own the code in a literal or figurative sense.
>
> In the interests of good governance, and to accelerate the possibility
> of OSGeo incubation, we plan very shortly to propose a formal Project
> Steering Committee to the OpenLayers mailing lists, patterned on the
> consensus-based PMC/PSC models already adopted by MapServer, GDAL,
> Mapbuilder, et al.
>
> Our intention is that the membership of the PSC should be open to
> including representatives of other F/OSS projects that take a
> substantial stake in the future of OpenLayers development.
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds pretty good.
I'll start throwing these ideas around amongst the Mapbuilder developers
- and our team meeting and the like.

We are about to plan for our next release and this is useful information
  to feed into these discussions.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net