Mapbuilder is ready for OSGeo Graduation - and project merging

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:41:57 EDT 2006

Steve Lime wrote:
<snip>

> One question in my mind is what all the talk of project merging (OpenLayers, ka-map,
> MapBuilder and so on) really means. Is there a chance that in the near future there
> really will be a single project comprised of the best of all of the participating client
> environments, and if so then how should that be taken into account as part of
> incubation. Do we graduate a project that may substantial change near term? If
> projects do merge and one is "officially OSGeo" is the merged project now official?
>
> I know you've started those discussions but it's not clear where they sit.

Steve,
Mapbuilder are likely to start using OpenLayers as a rendering engine,
which will effectively mean Mapbuilder would be using OpenLayers as a
library.  So technically, we would be able to be an OSGeo member without
bringing OpenLayers in as an OSGeo member.

Mapbuilder would add value primarilly by providing a
Model/View/Controller design pattern which allows numerous types of
widgets to render one, or many XML documents.

I'd imagine it will be at least 6 months before there is a Mapbuilder
release which uses OpenLayers.

While I'm very keen to see all the webmapping developers working on the
same project, in practice I suspect it will take a year or two for the
projects to grow into the same product.

The OpenLayers folks have made noises about applying for OSGeo
membership - but I'll let them talk to that point.

Mapbuilder is not currently planning to merge with kamap directly, but
are likely to be connected by an OpenLayer/kamap merge.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net