[Mapbuilder-devel] FW: [ka-Map-users] ka-Map and OpenLayers

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 16:38:51 EDT 2006

Hello John, Schuyler, ka-map people, and all,

It is great to hear you guys are taking the initiative to move your
projects closer together.  I think these sort of merges will benefit
both communities greatly as you are likely to double your developer base
and more than double your user base.

I am indeed interested to see how we can weave Mapbuilder into your
application.  I'd love to see all the AJAX webmapping developers
building and extending the same codebase rather than extending lots of
smaller ones as we are doing now.

I missed the IRC (bit late for me).  Does someone have logs?  And is
there design discussions going on somewhere?  If so what list?  If not,
maybe we should use this webmap-discuss list.  (It was set up to discuss
cross project integration like this).

I've heard mention (below) that you are considering using Prototype.  I
think building upon an AJAX framework is a great idea.  What interests
me is why Prototype?  The other contender I see is Dojo which seems to
be well thought out and have a very strong community behind it.

John R. Frank wrote:
> For those of you interested in this discussion, this page:
>
> 	http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/BusinessCase
>
> explains the purpose of OpenLayers.  Schuyler and I would be glad to
> discuss how it might relate to MapBuilder.
>
> John
>

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Adair, Mike wrote:
>

>>FYI.  Not sure how many are following the ka-map list but there is a
>>discussion going on about merging/cooperating with the OpenLayers project
>>and switching to using Prototype.js as the framework.  This is something we
>>might consider as well.
>>
>>Mike

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net