[intl-discuss] Need for this list?

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Tue Jan 30 03:41:05 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:27 -0800, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am wondering about this list and if we should just roll discussions
> on this list back into the main OSGeo discuss list.  Then the broader
> community gets to hear what is being talked about a bit more.  Just
> wondering if anyone else has thought about this too.
>
> The usual pattern is that local chapters discuss here a while, but
> then need their own list eventually - then this list falls dead until
> another chapter or event arises.
>
> Are you finding value in having this particular list or would it
> serve just as (or more) effectively rolling it back to discuss list?
> If it's good to have, I'd like to change the name and address as
> several people have commented on it being obscure since our
> infrastructure migration.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Tyler

I have to admit I have often wondered what should be on this list,
though I did find it useful when we needed a place to discuss setting up
an Aust chapter.  Having a separate 'local discussions/Off Topic' list
in the way the australian group have used this list is probably a good
thing, especially for non english speaking groups who probably don't
want to flood the main list with non english messages.  I'd like to hear
what the non english speakers take on this is, as I may be well off
track here.  If there is consensus for such a need, perhaps the list AUP
(is there one?) could advertise the list as available for local language
and off topic discussions.

AS far as closing it goes, I'm -1 until we decide what local chapters in
formation are to do when they need a quiet corner to chat amongst
themselves, as that sort of traffic probably doesn't need to clog up the
main list.

Regards
Tim Bowden