[ZOO-Discuss] ZOO Kernel 1.0 Release

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 15 11:27:52 PDT 2010

Dear Gérald,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Gérald Fenoy <gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr> wrote:
> Le 15 avr. 2010 à 16:58, Markus Neteler a écrit :
> - http://zoo-project.org/ is different from http://www.zoo-project.org/
>  (the former has broken links and seems to be the old site, the latter
> works)
>
> The DNS entries are the same for both zoo-project.org and
> www.zoo-project.org. Maybe you'll have to clean the dns cache on yoru local
> machine. To do this, please use the following command depending on which
> platform you use.
>  * MacOSX :  dscacheutil -flushcache
>  * WIN32 : ipconfig /flushdns
>  * GNU/Linux : /etc/init.d/nscd restart

Great, this helped. Strange that the old cache even survived a reboot.
Never mind, now it works ok.

> - On the new site http://www.zoo-project.org/ there seems to be no way to
> link
>  to subpages... personally I would find it useful to point folks
> directly to, say, the Kernel installation page.
>
> You should be able to link subpages using the following URLs :
> http://www.zoo-project.org/index.php?left=[WIKI_PAGE]#YourTitleToPointOn

OK but for most users it will be hard to guess this :)

> For instance, to link the "Test your ZOO installation from
> the ZooWebSite/ZooKernel/InstallationNew trac wiki page, you can use the
> following syntaxe :
> http://www.zoo-project.org/index.php?left=ZooWebSite/ZooKernel/InstallationNew&#TestyourZOOinstallation
> We use a specific cache system using Trac wiki pages parsed using xsl to
> extract relevant content and display them in the left section of the
> official web site.

I see and can understand that this is a sophisticated way.
The only drawback is that if I click reload when reading for
example the kernel installation page, I get back to the main
page since the URL remains unchanged (at least in Firefox 3.6).
Of course this has low to no priority, just an observation!

> By now, only few users are allowed to edit ZooWebSite/*
> wiki pages as those pages are displayed from the offcial web site. All of
> this can evolve (and have to I think to make things easier to manage) and
> have  to be documented in a specific wiki section where only authorized
> peoples can access as it's specific to the official web site gesture.
> Nevertheless, feel free to add content to the Trac wiki system, as wiki can
> be accessed (read) without restriction (except for some private wiki
> sections where PSC can exchange freely, another time all this have to be
> documented soon).

OK - I'll figure out.

> - http://www.zoo-project.org/
>   -> Kernel
>     -> Installation
>         "Compiling ZOO Kernel"
>
>        *  Before "./configure --with-js=/usr/ \"
>           add "autoconf"
>            in order to generate ./configure
>
>        * This makes "autoconf" and additional requirement (pls list
> on top of page)
>
>        * Perhaps add that --with-php os the path to "bin/php-config"?
>

> The autoconf call have ot be added to the documentation.

is "ot" a "not"? I have taken liberty to fix it:

http://www.zoo-project.org/trac/wiki/ZooWebSite/ZooKernel/InstallationNew?action=diff&version=3

Feel free to revert if you disagree.

> About the PHP
> Support there is some specific requirements during the compilation of PHP
> itself. You can't use directly your local PHP installation (cli or cgi
> version) but should install another PHP library, the embedded version. You
> can consult this page to get more information abuot how to compile PHP
> embedded :
> http://www.zoo-project.org/trac/wiki/ZooKernel/Embed/PHP#ConfigureandInstallPHPEmbedlibrary

I see... of course I would love to you the PHP version provided
by my distro - I'll check how to achieve that. Perhaps I can
tune the SPEC file or so:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/php/current/SPECS/

According to the trac page,
--enable-embed and --enable-maintainer-zts
are to be added.

> (you noted that the syntaxe to point subpages are the same than before
> except beter syntax than in the web site, we should use a rewrite rules to
> easier links to subpages)

>> - Compiling ZOO Kernel:
>>    Perhaps we could add distro-specific examples? We are happy to
>> contribute some.
>
> Sure it can be really great to get distro-specific documentation of
> compilation / installation / use procedure.
> Hope my answers will help you solving the configure error encountred.
> Please keep us informed,
> Djay
> Just a ZOO Tribe Member
> gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr