[ZOO-Discuss] WPS join effort mailing list

Bastian Schäffer b.schaeffer at 52north.org
Fri Sep 10 14:18:49 PDT 2010

Raj,

thanks for picking this up.

I am a bit concerned that we are splitting our efforts here.

According to the WPS BoF held on Wednesday, we had the agreement to set
up the Mailinglist and the Wiki on the OGC level due to the following
reasons:

1. We need to cover all WPS implementations and best practices out
there. This covers open source, closed source, OSGeo members, non-OSGeo
members and so on. To have an neutral place were really everyone is
likely to contribute, the OGC level seems to be better fitted. As we
have seen last week, interoperability is a big concern in the WPS world
and we definetly need to improve this. Therefore we need everyone involved.

2. To cover these best practices and create a platform for WPS
enthusiasts, an OGC platform for an OGC Standard seems to be more
natural especially to avoid confusion.

3. Naming of Wiki in similar fashion to some vendors naming scheme
(tribe...) is a bit questionable.

So I was a bit surprised that the Zoo guys went forward in contrast to
the WPS BoF agreement.

However, lets forget this and let us join our efforts on an neutral OGC
level to most efficently improve interoperability among different WPS
implementations and identify improvment areas for the new WPS 2.0 standard.

Raj, please go forward with the OGC list.

Regards,
Bastian Schäffer