[ZOO-Discuss] any interest in a wps bakeoff?

Jody Garnett Jody.Garnett at lisasoft.com
Mon Jan 31 14:31:40 PST 2011

May as well start by answering my own question ...

On 01/02/2011, at 8:24 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> One thing I am doing is talking to each developer list to see if there is interest; and asking each group to think about what they would like out of the exercise.

I mostly expect two things out of this exercise:
- publicity - this is a public exercise illustrating that the wps specification works. Having several implementations really adds strength to that public statement.
- viability - I am confident after last year that the implementations turn over; I would love to see more on the interoperability front (hand crafted xml requests do not do it for me)

Many people are jumping right to questions of  performance (makes sense as good performance leads to a system that is cheaper to run and thus helps sales). While I understand that; it is not really a motivation I share this year. I want to see the WPS specification work before I care if it works fast :-)

> The second, more difficult question, is to think about the time commitment involved and ensure that the developer community has a enough time to take part.

I will be fairly hard pressed to find the time depending on work commitments; as a volunteer it is my intention to work on wps this year.

Jody