[ZOO-PSC] PSC meeting summary 2010/03/18

nicolas bozon nicolas.bozon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 00:54:48 PDT 2010

Thank you very much Daniel for summary
I'm adding some clarification about ZOO  licensing bellow

> 1) Status of ZOO-Kernel release
> >
> > Release day has been set to April 13th for ZOO Kernel, ZOO Services and
> ZOO
> > API and the release number will be 1.0.0 (Gerald) or 1.0 (Nicolas). The
> > software license hasn't been 100% clarified, but the companies GeoLabs,
> and
> > ZOO API will be copyright holder.
>
> As agreed upon in the PSC ML before the March PSC Meeting,
> ZOO-Kernel will be licensed under MIT/X11. ZOO-API may
> also be released under same MIT/X11 license. Perhaps
> copyright holder 3Liz (Nick) can clarify on the ZOO-API
> license. Intial copyright holders for ZOO-Kernel would
> be GeoLabs (France) and for ZOO-API will be 3Liz (France).
> Inclusion of other parties in the copyright will be
> discussed in future PSC meetings. PSC may consider and
> approve addition or changes of copyright holders in future.

ZOO Kernel and ZOO API will be both released under MIT/X-11 according to
plans, as Kernel was coded from scratch by GeoLabs, and API was coded from
scratch by 3LIZ.

It's true that some parts of the API code (about some formats and features)
have been inspired from some OpenLayers parts but the main file of the API
(zoo-api.js) has been coded entirely new, with a new logic. Second file of
the API (zoo-proj4js.js) is a simple adaptation of proj4js which is release
under LGPL. According to the LGPL terms, this file is a derivative work of
proj4js and can be included in another licensing, MIT/X-11 for example.

ZOO Services licensing is a bit more tricky, as they are adaptations
GDAL/OGR, CGAL, QREncode and OpenOffice which have different licensing. So
Gerald and I think that the best thing to do is to keep same license of the
initial code (even if they were a bit modified.) This way, ZOO Services
won't be forks, and initila author copyright will be also kept.

Best regards

Nick