[ZOO-PSC] PSC meeting on 2010/04/27

Markus Neteler markus.neteler at iasma.it
Tue May 4 05:30:52 PDT 2010

hi PSC,

I have received the Skype history of the meeting, here some related
comments. Sorry for the
late reply but I was travelling without internet connection.
I cite chunks of the dicussion to refresh your memories:

[3:37:06 PM] Nicolas BOZON: agenda 2?
[3:37:09 PM] Massimiliano Cannata: I would meke it more clear in the voting
   process, +2 witrh the voting of the majority of all eligible members an
no veto (-1)
[3:37:13 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: Agenda 2: * Launch review (discuss initial
  feedback) and next steps
[3:38:03 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: +1 for maxi's suggestion about clarifying
the
  voting process,
[3:41:09 PM] Gérald Fenoy: +1 also as for me (it seems that we have to wait
for
 no veto from others to follow the process correctly, nevetheless it seems
that
 no mention can be voted during any PSC meeting this way if anybody isn't
able to join)
[3:41:30 PM] S.Sekiguchi: +1 for clarifying the process, if necessary
[3:43:38 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: Maxi, can you hack the guideline to clarify
the
 voting issue, and we can approve corrections by voting on PSC ML.
[3:44:08 PM] Massimiliano Cannata: ok, i will

--->> Suggestion: take a look at RFC3 of GRASS which has been thought
        through quite a bit:
        http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass6_progman/rfc/rfc3_psc.html

[3:59:28 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: Any suggestions for svn, wiki/trac access
by
 new members?
[3:59:55 PM] Nicolas BOZON: i think that we must welcome people that know
the
 code and have good remarks
[4:00:29 PM] Gérald Fenoy: yes I would appriciate your comments as I can't
 understand for instance how somebody outside the PSC can modify a wiki page
 writen by a PSC memebr
[4:00:57 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: Documentation etc. also as important, I
think.
[4:01:07 PM] Gérald Fenoy: I think that we have to make some specific wiki
 section writable only by PSC memebrs

-->> I have been using/managing Wikis for > 6 years. I am not aware of any
case that the
   GRASS PSC Wiki pages or OSGeo committee main pages have been modified in
   an undesired way by non-PSC/non-committee members.
   Suggestion: keep it simple. Permission management is overkill and not
needed
    since you can rollback changes easily. Just put a disclaimer on top of
such pages
    that they are reserved for editing by the PSC.

[4:02:16 PM] Gérald Fenoy: what about defining a process of acceptance for
new
documentation proposal from the community ?

-->> this is AGAINST any concept of a Wiki ;-) and IMHO an obstacle for fast
progress.
       I got the OSGeo gadget for having more than 5000 Wiki edits,
especially by making
       the garbage collector. And there was nothing bad, just incomplete
info. If you put
       obstacles in place, then you don't even obtain text snippets and all
the work remains
       to be done by us....

[4:28:43 PM] venkatesh_raghavan: We can generate somekind of webstats for
PSC
members maybe.
[4:29:40 PM] Massimiliano Cannata: yes, it is interesting to see viewed
pages,
downloads, etc..

--> awstats, trac stats, like
  http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TicketStatsMacro