[Workshops] Re: [foss4g2008] Building a fast server for serving tiles

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Wed Jul 23 10:18:38 EDT 2008

On 2008/07/23 4:49 AM, graeme mcferren wrote:
> Hi Guillaume
>
> We will be basing the labs on Windows XP, with hopefully osgeo4w package
> installed. But that should not be a limit. We will be able to
> accommodate your needs, I am sure! Linux options proposed so far include
> bootable usb's/dvd's/cd's

For FOSS4G2007 we ended up with 4 options:
1)
The majority of Workshops/Labs ran under Windows XP.
It was pre-installed on the PCs we used. We then
installed 'a bunch of software'[1], as well as any
software/data that the Instructors supplied[2].
Remote Desktop was
setup so that Instructors could connect and test to
make sure their software was working the way they needed.
Three 'Master PCs' were used for this process, and these
three(each had slightly different hardware) were then
imaged to create the bulk of the PCs needed to run the
Workshops and Labs.
2)
LiveCD. These Instructors provided the CD image, and we
then burned a CD, and tested to make sure it would boot
all three 'Master PCs', and we did some minimal testing
once booted (based on instructions from the Instructors).
3)
LiveDVD. In one case a LiveCD was not large enough, so
a LiveDVD was needed. This restricted that Lab to one
of the rooms, because only one room had PCs with a DVD
drive. Otherwise, the same process as for LiveCD.
4)
Virtual Machine. We installed the free VMware Player on
the PCs. Some Instructors provided a file containing
their Virtual Machine. These were booted by us to make
sure they would run, and we did some minimal testing
once booted (based on instructions from the Instructors).

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_PC_Software
[2]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_Information_for_Instructors#FOSS4G_2007_FTP_server

--