[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo friendly countries to live in

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Aug 20 13:23:43 EDT 2009

Richard,

You make an interesting point. I would respond to your argument in this
way:

Richard wrote: "I think this may be the best way to show the return on
the taxpayers' investment in the data. The vast majority of citizens
don't want to manipulate these datasets; they only want to view them.
The MrSID format with USGS topo maps and USDA county compressed mosaics
makes them available to many more people than a more open format would."

If you can only view the data, you really miss out on a lot of its
value. To really benefit from the data you need to be able to manipulate
it, and to convert it to/from other formats. How useful would shapefiles
be if we could only look at them?

I think the main argument for using MRSID is the file compression. But
this is the government we are talking about. Tile the image data and put
up an easy to use index online that allows people to download just what
they need. Users that want to access images for entire counties are
likely going to have the computing power to use that much data anyways.

In my mind, the issue can be boiled down to this: MRSID doesn't have to
be a closed file format. Look at a company like Adobe. Governments
around the world release tons of data in PDF format. But Adobe publishes
a spec for this format. This has important implications for the adoption
of the format, for the ability to archive, for dealing with vendor
lock-in, and for supporting development of open source software. Adobe
makes a killing on PDF software, but if you wanted to write an open
source library to write and manipulate PDF files you could. (iText is an
example.)

The bottom line is that closed file formats give a company like
LizardTech a way to lock out competition from other commercial companies
or from open source developers. They don't have to keep the file format
closed, they choose to do so. They could publish a spec if they wanted
and the USDA would loose none of the benefits of the MRSID file format.
If there was a published spec I would have no problem with the USDA
using MRSID or with them paying LizardTech for software and support
because of their choice of this format.

I'd wager LizardTech keeps the MRSID closed for the same reason Autodesk
keeps the DWG format closed. It means money and market control. I don't
think US taxpayers should be supporting that type of business model.

I know what I'm saying here likely rubs some people the wrong way. But
this is the OSGeo mailing list. :]

I don't care if a private company chooses to use MRSID. I don't care how
Autodesk and LizardTech run their businesses. Until you get my tax
payers involved. Then I have a right to be critical. My government's
choices in these matters say more about a single business or IT
decision. They say a lot about what principles we value and financially
support as a society.

Landon

Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268

Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658