[OSGeo-Discuss] Degree vs GeoTools API

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Feb 11 13:52:39 EST 2010

Frans,

I will try to provide an intelligent answer to your question based on my
own experience.

Here is my observation of the main difference between Deegree and
Geotools:

Degree seems to be a more closely knit group of developers, coming from
just a couple of organizations, while Geotools draws developers from all
over the place.

This has some different implications for users of the libraries and for
developers.

I find the Deegree API is often easier to use but not as well
documented. The Geotools API is better documented but much more
complicated. I think this extra complication in Geotools stems from its
efforts to please such a diverse group.

I have contributed a single "unsupported" module to Geotools. This
process wasn't too burdensome, and I found a couple of the programmers
in Geotools were a delight to work with. I also learned a lot from my
very limited work on Geotools. I typically work on code that plugs into
a single program, and participation in Geotools requires you to write
code that can be used in all sorts of programs. You need a different
type of thinking to do that.

The programmers from Deegree were also very responsive on their mailing
list.

Deegree uses a feature model somewhat similar to JUMP's. I find the
Geotools feature model is very hard to learn and work with.

I hope that helps.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658