[OSGeo-Edu] Update on the Metadata Chapter of the Free GIS Book

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Jan 22 12:03:32 EST 2008

Charlie wrote: "Do you think you should mention and point to the FCGC
metadata
standards?"

I was going to do this in the references section at the end of the
chapter. But I can throw it in the body as well.

Charlie wrote"Another example of a standard might be EML (Ecological
Modeling
Language) that is established by the US NSF Long Term Ecological
Resarech group for a standard for ecological data."

I'll check this out.

Charlie wrote: "It would be good to show an example somehow."

Do you mean an example of metadata? I'll have to chew on how I could do
this...

Charlie wrote: "Are there any FOSS metadata managers that are similar to
the way
ESRI's ArcGIS allows you to enter metadata? Or do you want to list or
show ways of entering metadata developed in certain OSGeo projects?"

If I remember correctly the Spanish team asked me not to mention
specific software tools in the chapter. I think they are including these
references in an appendix.

Thanks for the feedback.

Landon