[fdo-dev] SHP build broken in trunk

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Nov 9 13:53:28 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I think "trunk" always being the current development version is easy
> to understand with branches existing for "stable branches" and
> private/radical experiments.

Hmm, isn't "stable branch" the same as a tag?
In Subversion world, there are three locations:

1. trunk - branch of main development
2. tags -  project state snapshots (releases, etc.), usually a project
policies make tags unchanged, so not commits are allowed to tags -
static forks of trunk.
3. branches - dynamic forks of trunk, not only new features

In practice, Subversion manages tags and branches in the same way:
branch and tag is just a physical copy of trunk.
The only difference is how project developers decide to use them.
One project may allow commits to tags, but another one may now.