[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: Increased discount for workshop presenters

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 10:39:52 PDT 2018

I think that workshop presenters already qualify for community rates... if
they can justify it!

We've had this discussion around ticket pricing quite a few times, and I'm
reluctant to alter it. I'm not really against it, and would like to give it
thought with the presenter tickets in the discussion too, but my immediate
reaction is -0.

Cheers,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 09:02 adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, often I should also think more before I write!
>
> Framed as 'workshop qualifies for community rates' seems ok assuming
> single presenters.
>
> I think there are still bears in the woods here, for example when a
> workshop legitimately has a team of presenters, who gets community rates?
> Just the lead? Everyone?
>
> Maybe that's for our future selves...
>
> We already offer a decent speaker discount. Can we spend on the TGP
> instead ( I feel a new motion coming...)
>

> --
> Dr. Adam Steer
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
> +61 427 091 712 <+61%20427%20091%20712>
> skype: adam.d.steer
> tweet: @adamdsteer
>
> On Tue., 4 Sep. 2018, 02:26 John Bryant, <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Adam for the alternative viewpoint, it's good to have strong,
>> divergent opinions in here so we can really think these things through.
>>
>> I appreciate your frustration, but I'm not seeing this as a pricing
>> change, rather as a clarification on who's eligible for the Community
>> Contributor and Workshop Presenter discounts that we've already
>> established. I'm also resistant to pricing changes at this late date.
>>
>> A little further scrutiny on the presenters we are considering applying
>> this to reveals this. Out of the 7 who have yet to register:
>>
>>    - 5 are clearly eligible for the CC discount already, based on their
>>    code contributions to open source.
>>    - The other 2 could make a strong case for their involvement and
>>    achievements in the community.
>>
>> I probably should have done this analysis before suggesting this be
>> brought to the committee. My apologies for wasting people's time.
>>
>> In any case, I would like to close this off so that Trisha can proceed
>> with contacting presenters and securing their registrations as soon as
>> possible. If there is any more discussion, can I ask that it's raised by
>> COB today?
>>
>> Cheers
>> John

Alex Leith