[gdal-dev] OT: OGR and Quadtree and R-tree

John Reid jgreid at u...
Wed Aug 22 05:47:33 EDT 2001

Hi,

Paul Selormey wrote:

>Hello John,
>Thanks for the mail.

You're welcome :-)

[...]

>>Unfortunately L.J. Qian has indicated that he is unable to continue
>>development of GFC due to other commitments :-( However he is quite
>>happy for some new development to take place. I think there might also
>>be some related code in OSSIM.
>>

>Thanks for the information. The R-tree in GFC is somehow complete, even
>thought I have not tested it complete yet. Also, he presented a memory
>mapping
>class which is platform independent-I have being working for Windows
>specifics
>here.
>
>I really think, most of the GFC ideas and codes could be of great benefit to
>the OGR,
>however the OGR is not currently as much attention as the GDAL.

If you are interested, I am looking at dusting off GFC - unless anyone
else can tell me where I can find a GPL'd C++ library for GIS
objects..... I was planning on starting work in about a month - once I
have figured out autoconf/automake and done a bit more reading. My aim
is to start with a bit of recoding in the core mechanics using the STL -
mainly so the code is a bit more intuitive for new developers, then work
on making data types compatible with the GIS standards. However I don't
know how compatible that development will be with the OGR code due to
the different licences :-(

>>There are some other links as well that I can go digging for if
>>interested. What are you interested in doing, visualisation? HTH.
>>

>Thanks for the offer. I really need any information to get the most of the
>OGR/GDAL.
>Well, the email will only tell a story of an open-source LaTeX related tool
>developer, but
>I am interested in open sources in general and now I have a job involving
>GIS. Even though,
>I do not hope to make it a permanent job since I am professionally
>Electrical/Mobile Communication engineer, I wish to make the most out of the
>opportunity
>to study more of GIS. I am also using the opportunity to study and use the
>open sources
>because I will in the future develop open source tools based on them. So to
>me, someone
>is paying me to study :-)

Know that feeling. I would go nuts if anyone permanently attached me to
a digitizer or desk again ;-) I'll get back to you over the next couple
of weeks about the indexing stuff - I need to revisit that anyway....

cheers,
John

john reid e-mail: jgreid at u...
technical officer building 41, room G02A
school of geosciences phone: +61 02 4221 3963
university of wollongong fax: +61 02 4221 4250
nsw 2522 australia

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen. more questions!
-mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...