[Gdal-dev] GDAL Image IO integration work

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 09:19:34 EST 2006

Hi Frank,
I am sending this email in order to provide some status update on the
work we are doing on the Java bindings in order to use them from
Jai_imageIO stack of libraries.

During the Summer Of Code for Refractions, I have added some lines of
code to the " Band.i" interface contained into the gdal\swig\Include
subdirectory in order to expose the method GetBlockSize via SWIG.
This is important to me in order to preperly access large rasters using
tiling.

After some email exchange (among you, me and Mr. Charlie Savage), you
have committed the final version of the " Band.i" interface file
containing the proposed (and fixed) GetBlockSize binding.

However, the available java SWIG bindings as well as wrappers (to be
more precise: gdal\swig\java\org\gdal\gdal\Band.java and
gdal\swig\java\gdal_wrap.cpp (Thus, also gdaljni.dll))
was not be updated and they does not contain
any reference to GetBlockSize methods.
Could you provide to update also these bindings? (You need to run SWIG
to build the updated version of bindings).

Finally, as I stated some day ago, I'm back working on the GDALImageIO
integration proposal in order to improve its capabilities and reach a
good point of development.

Actually, I have improved and updated the GDALImageReader framework
and I'm starting with building the GDALImageWriter framework  with
help from GeoSolutions
company which is funding (and keeping track of) part of this work. I
think you already talked to one of the guys who run the company,
Simone Giannecchini, he is a contributor of GeoTools and GeoServer as
well as a contributor of ImageIO.

Our objective is to gain access to the wide set of raster formats
supported by GDAL in order to be able to do some good data processing
on them using Java Advanced Imaging.

--
Best Regards,
Daniele