[Gdal-dev] KML driver

Philip Paar paar at lenne3d.com
Sun Aug 26 06:38:56 EDT 2007

This is a summary of an email thread of Arnulf Christl, Frank
Warmerdam, and me:
Mateusz Loskot encouraged me to discuss the following technical
questions about KML driver on the gdal-dev list.

I wonder how KML driver support could be improved and speeded up?

Thanks to Google "Summer of Code" student, there already is a
prototype KML feature reader support in OGR:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCKMLRead

The student working on it was Jens Oberender, reporting to Mateusz
Loskot as mentor. KML feature reading has been recently implemented
but is still in fairly rough shape.

Google has been supporting GeoServer. http://google-code-
updates.blogspot.com/2007/08/plant-seed-watch-it-grow-
improvements.html : "(...) The GeoServer team is very excited about
KML becoming an OGC open standard, as GeoServer already implements
the main OGC standards. For the testbed TOPP will build support for
the new version of KML in to GeoServer and OpenLayers, an excellent
AJAX mapping client. To follow and participate in the work being done
on the next version of KML, subscribe and contribute to the ogckml
page on del.icio.us (...)"

Should we wait for an OGC KML ("3.0") to fully support KML in OGR,
propose another testbed (GDAL/OGR) to Google, and/ or try to push the
KML 2.x driver?
Regards,
Philip

Lenne3D GmbH
paar at lenne3d.com
http://www.lenne3d.com

VAT ID: DE814547174
Commercial Registry: 99518B
Registration Office: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Managing Director: Philip Paar