[Gdal-dev] GMT driver in OGR - How to activate it?

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Tue May 8 21:05:55 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Joaquim Luis wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just installed (under Windows) the trunk version where the GMT
>> driver for OGR exists in
>> ...gdal-svn-trunk-2007.05.08\ogr\ogrsf_frmts\gmt
>>
>> However when I try to use it I get
>> Unable to find driver `GMT'
>> and in fact it is not listed by ogr2ogr --formats
>>
>> How do we "activate" it?
>> Brent Wood told us in one of the GMT lists that it was ready to test/use
>
> Joaquim,
>
> I have confirmed that the windows makefiles omitted an important
> bit.  In particular, -DGMT_ENABLED was not defined in the file
> gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/generic/makefile.vc so the driver wasn't
> being registered by default.
>
> I have committed a fix. I'd suggest you "svn update" and do a
> "nmake /f makefile.vc clean" and "nmake /f makefile.vc" to rebuild.

Frank,
Thanks, its working now.

One little thing about this driver (well it applies to other ascii
format as well)
In GMT we have the possibility to select the printing format on the
command line
(for example, --D_FORMAT=%.1f)
I noticed that figures are being written with 11 decimal places. This
makes files
grow by a significant amount which will be particularly noticeable with
big files.
So I guess the question is, isn't it desirable to implement a similar
mechanism
within OGR ascii formats? Or am I being too picky?

Joaquim Luis