[Gdal-dev] Building on Windows with Python 2.5

Rob McCulley RMcCulley at county24.com
Wed Oct 3 10:59:18 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm trying to make the migration to Python version 2.5.  In the past,
I've been lazy, and just the MS4W version of the GDAL python bindings.
They are compiled for Python 2.4 though, so I've been trying to build
GDAL and the Python bindings for version 2.5 without much success.  I'm
working with the GDAL version 1.4.2 source code and compiling with
MSVC2003 (7.1).

The build runs just fine, as far as I can see.  There don't appear to be
any errors.  The bin directory is populated with all the utility
programs, various python scripts, the data directory, the html directory
and the pymod directory.  As far as I can see the utility programs run
fine.  When I copy the contents of the pymod directory over to the
site-packages directory in Python25 and try and import gdal I get the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\gdal.py", line 191, in <module>

    import _gdal

ImportError: No module named _gdal

As a test, I compiled gdal against Python 2.4, and everything worked
fine.  The python modules imported without error.  Any ideas on what to
do to get it working with 2.5?  Is this a problem with having both 2.4
and 2.5 installed on the system?

Alternatively, this seems like as good a time as any to move over to the
next generation bindings.  How does one go about building the NG
bindings with MSVC2003?

Thanks,

Rob McCulley