[gdal-dev] Re: C#: Gdal on Win64

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:56:56 EST 2008

2008/3/3, Tomas R <monshi at home.se>:
> Healthy idea to compile GDAL myself. Not sure it would be so healthy for
>  me...It is nice to use FWTools. Very nice since I don't have to worry
>  about what I need or not need.
>
>  File formats I need to support? Well, whatever the user of my plugin
>  chooses to use! Png, gif, tiff, jpeg, rik, geotiff, Jpeg2000..
>  whatever.. The file formats listed here:
>  http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html
>  are those the ones GDAL internally support?

Some of the drivers are compiled in by default, however some of those
depend on external libararies that should be specified during the
compilation. This might involve the need of adding external dlls to
the package. Anyway you can use 'gdalinfo --formats' to see which
drivers are actually supported by the compilation.

>  Oh, f_ck. I will give it a try. I guess spend half a day or so to
>  download what I need and a couple of hours more to get it all to work. I
>  guess I won't be able to create a Win64 version on my computer? Or may I
>  not at all need a specific Win64 version  if I remove all FWTools stuff?
>  Proj4 - for Win32, just need to download from http://proj.maptools.org/
>  and include in the same folder as GDAL is in and GDAL finds it? Or an
>  option while building the project?

Hmmm. Without having VS2005 or later installed on a 64 bit operating
system it's quite difficult to compile for Win64. (There might be some
3rdpty cross compile tools that I'm not aware of).
Anyway I've just made the buildbot results available for download that
contain many of the binaries (including the executables) of the
development version on various platforms:

.NET FW 2.0 Win64:
http://vbkto.dyndns.org:1080/gdal/szekerest-vc80x64-full/package/bin.zip
.NET FW 2.0 Win32:
http://vbkto.dyndns.org:1080/gdal/szekerest-vc80-full/package/bin.zip
.NET FW 1.1 Win32:
http://vbkto.dyndns.org:1080/gdal/szekerest-vc71-full/package/bin.zip

I don't think these are suitable for use in a production environment, though.

FYI: I'm planning to put some efforts in adding a limited set of the
Win64 binaries into the upcoming osgeo4w installer. For more
information about this topic see:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Win32_Installer

Best regards,

Tamas