[Gdal-dev] TMS driver -- Google SoC Proposal

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Mar 28 09:57:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:50:28AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> >keo wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am a student interested in working on TMS tiled maps driver for GDAL as
> >>a part of the Google SoC. As suggested by Frank, I created a new page on
> >>the wiki (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCTMSDriver) with the
> >>proposal and extended the existing SoCProjects page with a link.
> >>Comments are welcomed.
>
> Keo,
>
> The project looks good.  I'd like to see TMS read/write support working
> by mid-term, and then adding http fetch, some optimization and other
> sophisticated features after that.  It would also be desirable, but
> optional, if your work could support some of the new features that
> Klokan discusses in the GDAL2Tiles upgrade project he proposes if that
> works out.
>
> Actually, thinking about http, I feel this may start to blur the line
> between this driver and the WMS driver which I suspect supports TMS.
> So I don't know how much of a priority this would be.

As far as I know, the WMS driver does not support TMS. (I said on the
MapServer mailing list the other day that it did, then realized that I
think I'm mistaken.)

That said, it's not entirely clear to me how different a TMS driver and
the WMS driver really are: I had looked at the code and felt like a TMS
'minidriver' for the WMS 'driver' wouldn't be that difficult (but beyond
my coding skills): however, I can also see that a TMS driver can have
significantly more features in the realm of reading local files, so I
don't know how much of the code would end up making sense between the
two.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt