[gdal-dev] gdal_grid: taking a value from feature attribute

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sat May 17 11:00:47 EDT 2008

Folks,

I need an advise. I have added a possibility to get the value for
interpolation from feature attribute instead of Z coordinate of geometry
record. But there is a small problem with gdal_grid utility interface.
The "-a" option that I would like to use to specify attribute name is
already taken by an algorithm parameter (see
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_grid.html manual page for details). Other GDAL
utilities (gdal_rasterize, gdal_contour) use "-a" option to set the
attribute name. I would like to be consistent and go with "-a" too and
rename the "algorithm" option in something other. Let it be "-m"
(m[ethod]).

So my question is: will it be harmless to change the gdal_grid
interface in that way? Any objections?

Best regards,
Andrey

--