[gdal-dev] gdal error 4

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 3 11:39:36 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have a problem with the gdal Installation on our webserver. I'm new to
gdal, to be specific I try to get some raster data into mapserver, but
there occours the following error according gdal and I could not find
anything what helped me out on google and other mailinglists.

I get the following Error when I try to access data with gdal:
<--------
cwillmes at lvr18$ gdalinfo SRTM_Elevation.tif
ERROR 4: `SRTM_Elevation.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.

GDALOpen failed - 4
`SRTM_Elevation.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.
--------->

On my local machine gdal can access the same file:
<------
christian at gis-bar-linux1:~/Dokumente/SeismoGIS/WebGIS/data$ gdalinfo
SRTM_Elevation.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 5099, 3645
Coordinate System is:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
 [ ..... ]
---------->

So the data works. I checked the supported formats from the webservers
gdal installation:
<-------
cwillmes at lvr18$ gdalinfo --formats
Supported Formats:
  VRT (rw+): Virtual Raster
  GTiff (rw+): GeoTIFF
 [....]
--------->
So it seems to support the GTiff format on the server also.

I converted the data also to JPEG and BMP to test it. On my local
machine the data is recognized fine by gdal, on the server apears the
same erro (No 4). But according to 'gdalinfo --formats' all the tested
formats are supported?!

Can somebody please give me a hint for the reason of that error and/or
how to fix it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Christian

--
Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung		| GIS & RS Group