[gdal-dev] compiling GDAL with GEOS on Windows

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 02:24:21 EDT 2009

Yilmaz,

    I'll leave the GEOS / Windows compilation bit to those who know!  However, I
can help on the nearest neighbour issue as I have done some research in this
area.  To do it properly is non-trivial: indeed, it is effectively a Dirichlet /
Voronoi tessellation problem.  For an outline and some bibliography see
Halls, P.J, Bulling, M., White, P.C.L., Garland, L., Harris, S., 2001, Dirichlet
neighbours: revisiting Dirichlet tessellation for neighbourhood analysis,
Computers, Environment and Urban Systems (CEUS) 25 pp105-117.
This is based on Robin Sibson and Peter Green's 'Natural Neighbours' algorithm,
Green, P., & Sibson, R, 1978, Computing Dirichlet tessellations in the plane;
Computer Journal 21 pp168-173.
This approach appears to be one of the fastest and most reliable algorithms for
computing a Dirichlet Tessellation.  Once you have that tessellation, the
neighbours of each point are easy to identify - indeed, they 'fall out' of the
structure used by the Green and Sibson algorithm.

    My software is written in Simula (the 'original' object programming
language), using the CIM Open Source Simula cross-compiler from the University
of Oslo and the OGR library via c calls.  My 'neighbours' program computes for
each point in a dataset the set of 'natural neighbours' for each point,
identifies that which is nearest and reports the distances and angles to each
neighbour.  CIM is written in c and cross compiles into c.  I use the Cygwin
interface on Windows and the gcc compilers: I cannot comment on building CIM in
Visual Studio.  However, should you wish, I would be willing to supply you with
my source.

Best wishes,

Peter