[gdal-dev] What is the format of a .prf file?

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Mar 20 08:44:01 PDT 2013

Am 20.03.2013 16:01, schrieb Rainer M Krug:

> What I don't like is that I have to specify t_srs in such a long way. It states that t_srs can be
> "a .prf file containing well known text", but I can't figure out what a .pdf file is. Would for
> exmple work, if I put
>
>    +proj=aea
>    +lat_1=-28.25
>    +lat_2=-29.75
>    +lat_0=-29
>    +lon_0=30.75
>    +x_0=0
>    +y_0=0
>    +datum=WGS84
>    +units=m
>    +no_defs
>
> in t.prf and refer to it in gdalward as "-t_sts t.prf"?

No, the proj definition text is not "well known text" WKT.

> Are there any examples available for prf files and allowed formats?

It's simply the same format as in every shapefiles .prj file.

For example
ogr2ogr -s_srs epsg:3375 -t_srs epsg:4245 Malay-Kertau.shp rivers-neu.shp
ogr2ogr -s_srs epsg:3375 -t_srs Malay-Kertau.prj Malay-prj.shp
rivers-neu.shp

returns two identical outputs, where Malay-Kertau.prj contains the
definition used in the first run with EPSG:4245.

Greetings,
André Joost