[gdal-dev] RFC 61: Call for vote on adoption

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 23:17:28 PST 2016

06.02.2016, 18:00, Sean Gillies kirjoitti:

> Can you explain more in detail about the backwards incompatibilities
> and how to soften them? What's going to break and what are the
> specific options?

Hi Sean,

In the C++ and C API there are no backwards incompatibilities but the
get/setCoordinateDimension() methods become deprecated since XYM and XYZ
have the same dimension.  Is3D(), IsMeasured(), set3D(), and
setMeasured() should be used instead.

I don't know about the other drivers but Shapefile driver currently
reads XYM geometries as XYZ and that will be changed so that XYM are
read as XYM. I think that is the only incompatibility. A new open option
MEASURE_AS_Z=YES/NO (or something) can be defined for backwards
compatibility. Similar option can be defined for other drivers if they
have the same feature.

Ari

ps: Sorry for the late answer, I was offline the weekend.