[gdal-dev] Bus error on gdal.Open

Grégory Bataille gregory.bataille at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 02:00:36 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I have the strangest issue and I don't know how to address it.
I'm running on a *mac*. I have *gdal 2.2.0* installed on the system.
I have a python 3.5.2 *virtualenv* (same behavior in 3.6.1)
inside I have a number of libraries, including django and the *GDAL
bindings*.

If from this virtualenv I open a *ipython* console and try to gdal.Open a
TIFF, *all works well*.
If I open a *django console* (django manage.py shell) in this virtualenv
and try to perform the same operation, I get

> TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 42112 (0xa480)
> encountered.
> TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 42113 (0xa481)
> encountered.
> [1]    15947 bus error  python manage.py shell

This happens also if I go through the django.contrib.gis.gdal module that
django embarks (that is a subpart, old? of gdal bindings)

This *does not* seem to *happen on my production Linux* install.

I have no idea how to investigate this. I don't know what django could do
at startup that could have this kind of adverse effect.
(if there are django knowledgeable people, I get the same error when
launching the code through celery)

According to the django code, launching a django shell should basically be
equivalent to launching a ipython
https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/core/management/commands/shell.py

Any idea what I can try to do?

Thanks