[gdal-dev] Understanding VSI caching

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Apr 9 11:58:54 PDT 2018

> I read there was some caching, but was not that specific. So, memory
> caching is there, it's per file,
> but not enabled by default,

Yes

> while disk caching is there, global, and
> enabled by default?

Which disk caching are you refering too ? There's some disk caching for the
WMS driver, but that's all

(well there's some provisional code for disk caching in /vsicurl/ but it is
not compiled by default, and probably broken. There was some discussion
recently on the ML about this if I remember well)

> The "detect sequential reading" part is interesting, if I'm not mistaken
> the logic is here,
> right?
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/port/cpl_vsil_curl.cpp#L1845

Yes