[gdal-dev] Snowflake Vector Driver

Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen gregers at septima.dk
Tue Aug 30 13:18:17 PDT 2022

Hi Zachary,

So, do you know about any efforts to create a Snowflake Vector driver? What
> would it take for this to happen?

Please do not see this as discouragement, but we tried to make sense out of
Snowflakes models (both in and out), and  must say we were impressed by
their xml-capabilities; they can take any kind of in data and make an
output model out of it.

But
It
Is
Pain(!!!)
To try to figure out anything consistent with the out-model of it.

A lot of “magic” happens in their mapping, so we basically took a handful
or two of in data files and reverse engineered (read; performed informed
guessing) the configuration used for those, so we could hopefully produce
the corresponding INSPIRE XML configuration for GeoServer.

We found that the same (or so it seemed) Snowflake configuration can
produce several different outputs depending on version/context/input
database column configuration etc

The journey was long, and our client ended up deprecating the services with
a long notice (counted in years) and built “the same” (functionally and not
backwards compatible) in a week or two in GeoServer.

If you need some specific input, I might find an hour or so to scavenge our
POC. But I am quite sure it is not worth it without the snowflake secret
sauce.

Cheers,

Greg

--