[gdal-dev] Use GitPod for GDAL?

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:19:21 PST 2022

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use https://gitpod.io to set up a gdal development
environment? I'm wondering if that might be an easy path for Windows folk
like myself to test changes against linux (e.g. like this one
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/5296#issuecomment-1037141210).

I've tried creating one straight from Github repo using the GitPod browser
extension for Firefox. It appears to work quite well but there are errors
indicating some dependencies are missing.

No PROJ_DIR being the first. I attempted to remedy that with:

sudo apt-get install proj-bin

which worked well enough, but then "Could not find gdal-config. Make sure
you have installed the GDAL native library and development headers." and so
on when attempting to install python wheel.

-matt