[gdal-dev] tps - gdalwarp vs ogr2ogr

Stijn Tallir stijn+gdal-dev at strict.be
Wed Aug 16 00:29:16 PDT 2023

Hi,

According to the documentation gdal and ogr use the same algorithm for the
tps-transformation but I don't seem to get the same results using the same
set of gcp's for images and vectors.

I have images that are unreferenced and vector data digitised on these
images (in pixel coordinates).

The images are then georeferenced with +100 gcp's and warped with gdalwarp
using the "tps" option.

When I use the same gcp's (with adjusted y-origin to lower left corner) to
georeference the vector data with ogr2ogr and the "tps" option I get
different results. The vector-result is similar to the image-result but
never exactly the same and differences can be substantial.

Any thoughts?

Stijn