[gdal-dev] Jp2 driver "unhandled projection"

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Feb 9 09:24:09 PST 2024

Le 09/02/2024 à 18:13, Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND
APPLICATIONS INC] via gdal-dev a écrit :

> I noticed a warning after converting a gtiff image to jp2 stating
> ‘Warning 6: Unhandled projection method Albers_Conic_Equal_Area’.  The
> driver apparently completes the conversion and happily reports the
> projection correctly under gdalinfo.  But I find it weird that the
> format would care about the projection.  Is this a serious warning?

It is a bit strange that you get this warning (especially since this
should be a projection method handled by GDAL) and get a SRS after the
projection.

It is fully expected that the JP2OpenJPEG driver tries to get
georeferencing from the metadata. There are several ways to embed
georeferencing in a JPEG2000 image : GeoJP2, GMLJP2. All
JPEG2000-capable drivers in GDAL share the same code to read that
georeferencing when present and expose it.

Any link to that JP2 image? (sometimes images have both GeoJP2 and
GMLJP2, or possibly a side-car file. I'm wondering if the warning might
not come from an attempt at reading with one method, and finally a
fallback is used)

Even