[gdal-dev] Better way to merge MBTiles ?

Michael Otto michael.otto at data-experts.de
Mon Mar 18 06:48:20 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of merging several MBTiles files (same zoom level,
same CRS) into one file.
(Unfortunately I am not allowed to use gdal_merge.py in my environment at
the moment.)

Currently I am doing this via the detour "gdalbuildvrt".

Example commands:
'gdalbuildvrt complete.vrt Part1.mbtiles Part2.mbtiles ...'
'gdal_translate -of MBTILES -co TILE_FORMAT=WEBP complete.vrt
complete.mbtiles'

I then create the pyramids using "gdaladdo". So far ok.

But the merging of the individual files takes a long time. Is there
possibly a better and faster alternative?

Michael