[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Fri Oct 24 22:48:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:10 -0700, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/10/24 10:24 AM, jo at frot.org wrote:
> > dear Cameron, all,
> >
> >  Quoting Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
> >  > Does OSGeo have an official stance on data licencing? If not, I think
> >  > we should.
> >
> > No, it doesn't. Last year I started work on an "Open Geodata Licensing
> > Guide";
> > not a recommendation but an overview of the options with their benefits
> > and drawbacks, written with an audience of public administrations in mind.
> > It hasn't been updated in the light of recent discussions.
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Guide_to_Public_Geodata_Licensing
> >
> >  An official stance could be Quite Powerful. I want to avoid stirring up
> > fruitless controversy though!
>
> Makes me ask the question - "what would be a suitable type
> of forum at FOSS4G 2009 for this issue"?

I'd like to see a panel workshop as a core focus area happen for this at
FOSS4G 2009.  I've already informally asked Schuyler to contribute.  I'd
also like to see Tim Barker from Qld Govt treasury who's been pushing cc
licensing of Govt data in Aust.  If we could also get some of the legal
types behind the OSM effort that would be fabulous.

Regards,
Tim

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.