[Geomoose-users] How to implement an Atlas with several chapters

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 11:03:27 PST 2013

There are a number of people implementing a large collection of layers
using GeoMOOSE.  I know Bob B with the City of Saint Paul likes to brag
about 300+ layers in his GeoMOOSE catalog.  100 or so layers will not be
difficult.  GeoMOOSE has the ability to break up the display of layers into
groups, those groups can be analogous to chapters.

Also, the Mapbook is only an XML file.  If you want to create some better
management tools then I'd suggest the following:
1. Create a small django (or Rails or PHP) app that manages the layers in
your organizations native structure.  You can then use a small web front
end and database back end to manage the organization.  Then simply write a
"publish to mapbook" function that write the Mapbook out for the GeoMOOSE
application.

2. Use your favorite text-template language.  For larger projects I'll use
Mako templates (python based) or a collection of Perl scripts to assemble
separate files together to make one Mapbook.