[Geomoose-users] Antw: Re: How to implement an Atlas with several chapters

Josef Fürst josef.fuerst at boku.ac.at
Sat Dec 7 02:21:08 PST 2013

Dear Dan and Bob,

thank you for your prompt and comprehensive replies.

First, all the maps are already existing, including allocation to a
specific chapter (e.g. Precipitation, Surface waters, Groundwater,
etc.). There might be some smaller updates and/or extensions in the
future, but realistically only a small percentage of what already
exists. My goal is rather to maintain convenient access to a valuable
amount of information after the existing CDROM and MapObjects based
version runs out of being useable.

With more than 100 maps in one mapbook, users would get lost.
Therefore, I like the idea of developing a small frontend that generates
the desired mapbook on the fly (if I understood you right). For one map
with 3-10 layers, GeoMoose is just what I have in mind.

May I ask you another question? In our current MapObjects/Windows based
atlas viewer, we had implemented some neat hotlink tools for some of the
map layers in Visual Basic. e.g., clicking a stream gauge on the map
with the hydrograph tool, the daily streamflow data for the last 30
years would be downloaded and the hydrograph be visualised in a popup
window.
Do you think it is feasible to add such functionality also in a
GeoMoose context? If yes, which tools/language would you recommend?

Gratefully,

Josef Fuerst

>>> Dan Little <theduckylittle at gmail.com> 06.12.2013 20:03 >>>
There are a number of people implementing a large collection of layers
using GeoMOOSE. I know Bob B with the City of Saint Paul likes to brag
about 300+ layers in his GeoMOOSE catalog. 100 or so layers will not be
difficult. GeoMOOSE has the ability to break up the display of layers
into groups, those groups can be analogous to chapters.

Also, the Mapbook is only an XML file. If you want to create some
better management tools then I'd suggest the following:
1. Create a small django (or Rails or PHP) app that manages the layers
in your organizations native structure. You can then use a small web
front end and database back end to manage the organization. Then simply
write a "publish to mapbook" function that write the Mapbook out for the
GeoMOOSE application.

2. Use your favorite text-template language. For larger projects I'll
use Mako templates (python based) or a collection of Perl scripts to
assemble separate files together to make one Mapbook.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Josef Fürst <josef.fuerst at boku.ac.at>