[GeoNode-users] Geonode 2.6 - QGIS Server documentation

Rizky Maulana Nugraha rizky at kartoza.com
Mon Sep 18 07:05:35 PDT 2017

Hi,

I’m one of the developer of the integration between QGIS Server and GeoNode 2.6.
Just to clarify, when we develop the integration for GeoNode 2.6, what we did is a minimum proof of concept
to demonstrate the possibility of using alternative backend, and to lay out the groundworks.
However I advise to not use it for production use because several reason such as:
- Some of the features of GeoNode were tightly integrated with GeoServer and we need significant effort
  to decouple the codes. The consequences were some of the features didn’t work/not available in QGIS Server.
- The integration code for QGIS Server is really a minimum proof of concept which lacks several code quality for
  production usages, such as unittest, documentation for deployment, and migration plan between versions.

For these reason, I suggest to avoid using it for production uses. But we still welcome you if you’re interested
as a developer to tinker with it.

Also note that we are still currently trying to improve the level of integration and code quality. For the latest work
in QGIS Server integration you can view our fork at:

http://github.com/kartoza/geonode <http://github.com/kartoza/geonode> on master-qgis_server branch.

We update this branch regularly by adding features and ensuring unittests works for both backends for GeoNode’s
master branch (which is by now effectively GeoNode 2.7.x into 2.9.x).
However because there were many parts of the codes and modules involved, we’re still in the process of
separating the changes so it can be reviewed easily when we do PR to upstream’s master branch.

Then, if you’re only interested on installing it and trying out, we recommend you to follow the guide on our
orchestration branch here:

https://github.com/kartoza/docker-geosafe <https://github.com/kartoza/docker-geosafe>

Specifically on the part here:

https://github.com/kartoza/docker-geosafe/blob/develop/deployment/production/docs/Rancher.md <https://github.com/kartoza/docker-geosafe/blob/develop/deployment/production/docs/Rancher.md>

Is a guide to install the latest codes easily using Docker and Rancher.

Feel free to directly file a ticket on that repo if you encounter some problem or question.

Regards,
--
Rizky Maulana Nugraha
Software Developer