[GeoNode-users] Adding Tabs to Geonode Menu

Toni Schönbuchner toni.schoenbuchner at csgis.de
Thu Apr 5 03:12:52 PDT 2018

Dear Julierme,

> I am installing Geonode2.8 in an ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine to create custom project.

I would recommend to use 16.04 which is targeted by geonode 2.8. 16.04 is current stable!

> One question I have regarding the tutorial is whether or not I have to execute all the steps in:
>
> * Using Docker; and
> *Using a Python virtual environment

No need to be confused here. Let me give you a brief overview about the most common ways to
install geonode.

1) Install by apt
Nice and easy way by use of Debians/Ubuntus package manager.

2) Docker
Docker is a container service. Very interesting if you use cloud services.
Have a look at the docker compose files at geonode github.
If it´s running it´s super easy to spin new environments or throw away olds.
>Docker is „hot" ;) It´s worth to have a look at it.<

3) Install by source
It´s possible to get geonode running without the full apache and tomcat stack.
The source is then cloned from github. Then Django/geonode is served by the
build in http server (python manage.py runserver 8000), and geoserver via jetty if I´m correct.
This way is also known as "install in dev-mode" ;)

4) Install by use of ansible
Ansible is a tool to „orchestrate" server structure. We´re using it f.e. to update packages
on a bunch of servers in one shot. Commands are organized in „playbooks“.
And some nice person created a „playbook“ which installs geonode at a given server.

5) Vagrant
Vagrant can be used to automate the creation of a VM. Let´s say you´re using
virtualbox and the setup steps creating a new vm are time consuming and cumbersome.
With vagrant you would create a vagrantfile which defines the VM of your needs, run
$vagrant up and voilá ! You have a fresh new running VM

Virtualenv
is used to create a separated python environment. Let´s say you have
different python projects but all depend on different dependency versions. Installing
packages globally would end in a mess. With virtualenv we can separate each project
and it´s needed python version and it´s dependencies.

Did I forget something? Hopefully not.

To come back to your question. I assume your using 1) this means you can ignore
all commands for 2) 3) 4) and 5).

If you´re stuck with setting up the geonode_project don´t hesitate to ask it´s really
easy.

Cheers,

Toni

CSGIS

Kolonnadenstraße 1
04109 Leipzig
Mobil	+49/ (0) 176 6680 3198
Tel 		+49/ (0) 341 24 04 738
Fax 		+49/ (0) 341 24 04 73
Web		http://csgis.de

Hinweis gemäß § 33 BDSG
Daten der Verfahrensbeteiligten werden gespeichert. Dieses Dokument ist ausschließlich für den
Adressaten bestimmt. Der Inhalt der E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese E-Mail versehentlich
erhalten haben, rufen Sie uns unter obiger Rufnummer umgehend an und löschen Sie diese Nachricht
von Ihrem Computer. Jegliche Art von Reproduktionen, Verbreitung, Vervielfältigung, Veränderung,
Verteilung und/oder Veröffentlichung dieser E-Mail ist verboten.