[GeoNode-users] Adding Tabs to Geonode Menu

Julierme Pinheiro juliermeopensourcedeveloper at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 07:45:13 PDT 2018

Dear Toni Schonbuchner,

greetings from Brazil.

I would like to return here to your explanation in the previous e-mail and
make some questions regarding the different ways to install geonode: 1 -
Install by apt  2 - Install by source / Virtualenv

*1 - Install by apt*

This is way that I am more use to it.

Using this method, if I am not wrong, Geoserver is fired by Tomcat and
Geonode fired by Apache2.  According to this  resource
<https://www.geodatenmanufaktur.de/howtos/geoserver.html> , to get a
geoserver better performance we should grant Tomcat more resources:

sudo vi /etc/default/tomcat7

in JAVA_OPTS you should

   - set a higher value for the maximum heap size (xmx) for example
   -Xmx1024m (depending on the ressources available and the expected load)
   instead of the initial 128.
   - Also you should add the initial heap size parameter (xms) and set it's
   value to the same one as xsx, e.g. -Xms1024m

Next you can set a higher value for maxThreads. A rule of thumb is to set
the value x200 times the number of cores:

sudo vi /etc/tomcat7/server.xml

Add to the <connector> for a server with two cores:

maxThreads="400"

*2 - Install by source / virtualenv*

I just started working in this method in order to work on theming geonode.
The installation seems to be easy too. Following  the installation guide in
here <https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project> , I came out with some
questions which I think you answered them in the previous e-mail, but I am
not sure:

1 -  Is *JETTY* the application that fires Geoserver? If so, how can I
grant more performance to Geoserver? Does it work as Tomcat, changing Xmx
and Xms values?

2 -  Is a *Python application* that fires Geonode?

I apologize if my questions are too basic. Having this information will
help me to move on in Geonode projects.

Thank you very much for your patience and time.

I appreciated it

Kind regards

Julierme Pinheiro