[geos-devel] Thoughts on Backporting the emit warning message to GEOS 3.6 and GEOS 3.5

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Oct 7 03:30:26 PDT 2017

On 10/6/2017 2:13 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> > 1) It's just a warning that shows when compiling code that uses the
> C++ API
>
> > so doesn't impact existing compiles. No one has to change their compile
>
> > scripts.
>
> Not that I'd be impacted myself, but that is not true if they build with
>
> -Werror, or expect that their build log remains clean if it was already.

Yes - and for development and CI this is a good practice. That's why I
think it's better to avoid adding this to old versions. It's not a
versioning violating, but it will require some people to change scripts.

> (but my experience building GDAL with -Werror and most pedantic
> warnings turned on has demonstrated that for a lot of packages you
> have to include external headers with compiler mechanism to
> temporarily turn off warnings due to them)

GEOS, GDAL, and other system libraries should be included with -isystem.
This will stop warnings being generated for questionable syntax, etc. I
don't think it will suppress warnings that *are* generated, such as in
this case where there's an explicit preprocessor directive.