[GRASS5] [kmelero@imagelinks.com: OSSIM RFP & GRASS]

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 18 10:29:06 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:44:31AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Greetings from OSSIM...
> >
> > Your comments are welcome!
>
> Markus,
>
>   After a quick look at the RFP, I must be missing something. GRASS has
> image processing capabilities for remotely sensed data. Why not enhance that
> rather than use some components in another product?
>
>   What have I missed here?
Well, myself I am not shure how to react. The potential power of
OSSIM is a nice GUI (look at "OSSIM studio" or what they call it),
a workbench like KHOROS Cantata. As GRASS lacks a nice GUI which
is really intuitive and a font server support, we may use OSSIM
as a GUI for GRASS.

GRASS provides many tools, but several useful image processing
tools are missing (RADAR, stereo, CEOS reader, etc). We need
more contributors for GRASS and especially more people doing
bugfixes in existing modules. Otherwise we can never release
a "stable" version of GRASS 5...

Best wishes

 Markus